Winter is the 3rd & final post in my series of posts on what to see & do in North Conway NH during the seasons. Hopefully this will help if you are planning on traveling to the area or it might entice you to take a trip there!
If you haven’t noticed already we really LOVE NH! Winter may be the best season for me, I love all things winter. I love snow, skiing, sitting by a fire, hot coffee & cocoa, hot comfort food and of course the holidays! NH has all this and more!
- Skiing, Skiing and more Skiing! We are a family of skiers, but there is also snowboarding… Attitash, Loon, Cranmore, Wildcat, Bretton Woods and Cannon are all within an hour of North Conway. Cranmore is right in North Conway.
- Most of the mountains have other Winter activities too! Snow tubing, snow shoeing, ice skating, ziplining…
- Loon even has an Ice Castle that is fun to explore! Even better at night when it is lit up!
- X Country Skiing (Free depending on location)
- Driving on the Kancamagus Highway, beautiful in the winter but be careful (Free)
- Polar Express aboard the Conway Scenic Railroad, we went last year for the 1st time and it was fabulous! You wear your pjs and get hot cocoa on the ride to the North Pole. You pass wolves and a fire in the woods, just like in the story. There is a Theater In The Woods that is transformed into the North Pole, elves greet the trains, then bring you into a building. This is where you will hear the Polar Express story told by the little boy that is now a grown up. Santa shows up at the end to give the 1st gift of Christmas. Then back to the train where everyone gets a chocolate and a bell.
- The railroad also runs Santa train rides.
- Santa’s Village is open some Sat & Sun in December, check their calendar online. This is a fun way of getting ready for the holidays! You can feed the reindeer and see Santa before he leaves on Christmas Eve. Dress VERY warm depending on weather. Plan on snowsuits for the kids because it can get chilly walking around. Maybe even for the adults too!
- Still Shopping
- White Mountain Hotel ~ year round, views of Cathedral Ledge, great Sunday Brunch & Friday Seafood Buffet. The food is excellent in the restaurant, pub & room service. We usually get a suite for the space, price is very reasonable.
- Mount Washington Hotel ~ year round, views of Bretton Woods and Mount Washington. Full service Omni Hotel & Resort. Golf in summer, fall and spring. X Country skiing and horse drawn sleigh rides in winter.
- Red Jacket Inn ~ this has an indoor water park and is in the center of North Conway. The kids love the waterpark & so do the adults! The Red Jacket has a restaurant which makes for easy dinning, including a great Sunday brunch!
- There is also lodging through most of the ski areas, including right on the mountain for ski in/out.
Where to Eat
- The Moat Mountain Smokehouse & Brewery, lunch & dinner
- The Woodstock Brewery, lunch & dinner
- The Muddy Moose, lunch & dinner
- Stonehurst Manor, breakfast, lunch & dinner
- Margarita Grill, lunch & dinner
- Hoursefeathers Restaurant, lunch & dinner Ice Cream shop too!
- Red Fox Bar & Grille, lunch & dinner
- Priscilla’s, breakfast & lunch
- Sunday Brunch at the White Mountain Hotel
- Sunset Shack, breakfast & lunch (BEST breakfast)
Here is the Summer and Fall Series. Hope this series gave you a little idea of what we love about this area in NH. I would love to know where your go to vacation areas are and why, leave me a comment to let me know!